Free shipping within the Netherlands above € 20,-
The most complete NT2 webshop
Worldwide shipping
Back to the dossier The immigration and naturalization service (Immigratie- en naturalisatiedienst, IND) and other important authorities

The immigration and naturalization service (Immigratie- en naturalisatiedienst, IND) and other important authorities

If you are going to emigrate to the Netherlands or if you have recently come here, you will often have to work with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, IND). Wondering exactly what this agency does, what matters you need to handle through the IND and what other agencies are relevant to you? Read on.

What is the IND?

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst), or IND, assesses all applications from people who want to live in the Netherlands. These are, for example, refugees seeking asylum in the Netherlands, but also people who want to work or study here, or live with their partner in the Netherlands. In addition, the IND handles naturalization requests: requests from people who want a Dutch passport.


The IND deals with these requests under the authority of the Ministry of Security and Justice (Ministerie van Veiligheid en Justitie), based on the policies made in the First and Second Chamber (Eerste en Tweede Kamer), and on the basis of (international) treaties.


What do you have to arrange through the IND?

You can arrange, for example, the following things with the IND:


  • Residence permit applications and renewals for brief and extended stays
  • Apply for and renew Combined permit for residence and work (Gecombineerde vergunning voor verblijf en arbeid, GVVA)
  • Apply for asylum in the Netherlands
  • Submit a request for naturalization
  • Apply for a visa for brief stay (e.g. holiday or business visit)


A work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning, TWV) for people who work in the Netherlands for less than 3 months cannot be requested from the IND: your employer must apply for this permit from the UWV organization.


Where can you find the IND?

For information and to submit an application, you go to the website of the IND: You can arrange most things online. In addition, there are also a number of service locations in the Netherlands, where you can collect a residence permit, for example. You can visit the service location if you make an appointment. People seeking asylum can contact one of the registration centres. See all the locations and addresses on the IND website.

Other important agencies

Aside from the IND, there are some other organizations that you may come into contact with when you emigrate to the Netherlands. We list the most important ones.


  • Department of Education (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs, DUO): handles everything that has to do with integration and study, including the exams. You can also apply for a loan from DUO to pay for an integration course.
  • UWV: Employers request a work permit (TWV) here. You can also turn to the UWV if you are unemployed or work disabled. 
  • Tax Department (Belastingdienst): You file your tax returns with the Tax Department for your income tax and – if you are an entrepreneur – for your sales tax. In addition, you can apply for a rent subsidy, healthcare allowance, child benefit and childcare allowance from the Tax Department.
  • Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel, KvK): You can register with the KvK as an independent entrepreneur. You can also request information about your Dutch employer.