The integration exam costs € 350.00 in total for the 6 sections (Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking, KNM and ONA). You can also take the section exams separately. On Inburgeren.nl there is an overview of the costs of the examination for all the exam sections. Following an integration course also costs money. The total cost of a course differs by school.
To pay for the costs of the exam and any integration course, you can apply for a loan of up to € 10,000.00 from the Educational Services Department (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs, DUO). DUO is a part of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap). You pay DUO back in period payments.
There are a few conditions for being able to borrow money:
- You spend the money on the integration exam and any integration course. Or on a course and the State Examination NT2. If you have a right to asylum, you may use part of the money for a literacy course.
- You must earn your integration diploma within 3 years. If you cannot manage to do that, and you have no good reason, you can be fined.
- If you borrow money for an integration course, the school where you follow the course must be listed on the website of Blik Op Werk.
- If you come to the Netherlands for family reunification, you can borrow a maximum of € 5,000.
Asylum entitlement and borrowing money
Refugees who have a right to asylum in the Netherlands can also receive a loan of up to € 10,000.00. If they pass the integration exam, they do not have to repay the money they have borrowed. This applies only to people entitled to asylum; all other people do have to repay the loan.
On the website of Blik Op Werk, there is a list of language schools that have a quality certification. At these schools, you can follow literacy courses, integration courses and Dutch as a Second Language (Nederlands als Tweede Taal, NT2) courses.
- Inburgeren.nl: here you will find all the information about integration, examinations and costs. You can also complete practice exams here.
- Rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/nieuw-in-nederland: On this website of the Dutch government, you will find all the rules regarding integration as well as practical information.
- IND.nl: the website of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst). Here you will find, for example, information about exemption from the integration exam.
- BlikOpWerk.nl: This website provides an overview of language schools in the Netherlands that have a quality certification. Here you can easily find a language school near you.
Have you not been able to find the answer to your question? Would you like more information about a particular topic? Contact our customer service department at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to help you further!